- Current Mood:Vidicated
- Current Mood: ecstatic
One thing I have never understood about that book is the supposed appeal of Daisy, she--like everyone in the novel really--seemed like a self-centered black hole of a person. I never engaged with the romance aspects of the book at all, but then, I didn't think I was supposed to. I thought I was supposed to feel sorry for Gatsby for his deluded pursuit of empty dreams. Have the reading men of America been yearning for Daisy all this time?? What the heck??
- Current Mood: confused
Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers to your post, delete my answers and input your own. Try not to swear at Berry in your head for having so many questions this week and don’t forget to leave a comment in this meme’s post so others can come by and read your answers as well!
- How long have you been blogging? Sinc e August 8th 2004 (Boy, that's almost ten years now! I had to go back though a lot of entries to get that date.)
- Why did you start blogging? A lot of filkers I liked to listen to were on livejournal, and a few other friends had started blogs. I decided to give it a whirl.
- How many times a week do you post an entry? Very, very sporadically, but it doesn't really matter since I can count my actual readers on half of one hand.
- How many different blogs do you read on a regular basis? I've been reading a lot of Second Life blogs lately, and I read the blogs of a few of my friends.
- Do you comment on other people’s blogs? I mainly comment on the blogs of people I know in RL, but I have commented a few times on the blogs of people I don't know. I comment more on fanfiction stories that I read.
- Do you keep track of how many visitors you have? I don't think I have enough to justify keeping track. I wish the folks who did stop by here would comment more just so I know they are out there.
- Did you ever regret a post that you wrote? No, not really. My blog posts are not controversial, I just do this for fun so I don’t regret anything. I have written about a few serious subjects, and occasionally shared when I was really depressed, but if I ever offended anybody, they didn't let me know--maybe that's because nobody reads this. :)
- Do you think your readers have a true sense of who you are based on your blog? What readers? But, I hope so.
- Do you blog under your real name? No, I blog under Iolanthe, which is a name that I picked when I started this blog. It's now my Second Life name too, so I feel it is even more a part of me than ever.
- Are there topics that you would never blog about? I avoid mentioning friends by name, and I don't say much about my college or my students because they might stumble over this thing. I've decided to keep my romantic travails, either whining about my lack of a date or discussing any dates I may be having, off of this thing until I'm announcing my engagement.
- What is the theme/topic of your blog? My journal is about whatever. That's one of the things I like about it. It's a mutt. I called it Breaking the Curve because that's something I did a few times in my academic career, and it seems to be a metaphor for my life. Things never go as expected.
- Do you have more than one blog? If so, why? I actually thought about starting a new blog just for Second Life stuff, but I'm so sporadic updating this one that I know I would never have enough time, discipline or content for two blogs. My four readers will just have to deal with my Second Life obsession.
- What have you found to be the benefits of blogging? I enjoy having a place to ramble and vent when my friends aren't available to listen to me ramble and vent.
- So, why do you continue to blog? Well pretty much everything I said in the previous question, and also I guess it helps me relax and release whatever random thoughts are in my head.
Okay, tag, you're it. Comment if you decide to answer the questions.
- Current Mood:accomplished
Meme instructions: Share your top five SL pet peeves. Right now, I only have four:
- Boxes and shopping bags: Why, oh why, do virtual goods come with virtual packaging? It's annoying. One has to rez the boxes, open them, then delete them. I also hate the animations that put a shopping bag over my shoulder or whatever--bah! Hate! I just want my stuff okay? I don't need this song and dance. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I was very new, I often ended up with boxes stuck to myself because I couldn't get the hang of opening them.
- Placing objects: My regular readers--all four of you--know the saga of my backwards porch swing and my floating furniture Why is it so difficult to place objects in SL?? How do people manage to do all the decorating they do when it is soooooooo difficult?? Am I just a moron? Don't answer that.
- Second Life Time (aka SLT aka Pacific Time): Unless I get my SL addiction under control, I may be sleep deprived for the rest of my life. I wish when it was 8:00 SLT, it wasn't 11:00 here in EST. I'd like a little lead so maybe 8 SLT= 10 EST, but not soooo much. I am a night person, but this is ridiculous.
- People asking to friend me when they've just been introduced to me: I find it awkward to refuse people's friend requests. I also don't want to be friends with all of Second Life. I wish people would just not offer immediately. Let's get to know each other hmmmmmmm?
- Current Mood: irritated
Meme intructions: Copy and paste the following 8 questions and answers to your blog post, delete my answers and input your own! Don’t forget to link your post in this meme’s comments so everyone can read yours!
- What’s your SL name? Iolanthe Greymoon--that's eye-oh-LAN-thee OR ee-oh-LAAN--thay depending on how European you feel like being
- What made you choose this name? I have a BA in English and German. When I first heard the name Iolanthe, I thought it sounded like it came from a German opera, but actually, Gilbert and Sullivan invented the name for their opera. It's been my name here since I first started my journal, and I use it a lot of places on line. I picked Greymoon from the list of last names because I thought it sounded very Faerieland and went well with my first name. I find I wear a lot of gray in Second Life because of my name. I'm glad I got to have a last name before they were discontinued.
- What’s your SL nickname, or what do most people call you? (if applicable): Some people have called me "Io". I kind of like that.
- What’s your SL display name? Why do you choose to have one? (if applicable) I don’t have one. If I wanted one, I'd have to figure out how. I'm still a noob really.
- Do you like your SL name? Yes!
- If you could change your SL name, what would it be? I don't want to change my name, but I would like to change the Second Life font, because of it, quite a few people call me "Lolanthe" and I'm not sure how to correct them without being rude.
- What’s the craziest/funniest SL name you’ve ever seen? Poison Cupcake,
- What’s the coolest (your favorite) SL name you’ve ever seen? Strawberry Singh, of course
- Current Mood:accomplished
- Current Mood: excited
- Current Mood: exhausted
- Current Mood:enthralled